The Safe Quality Food or SQF (© SQF Institute 2012. All rights reserved.) program is designed to help manufacturers demonstrate to food buyers and suppliers worldwide that the certified company meets certain regulatory, food safety, and quality (Level 3 only) requirements.
SQF is the only GFSI Standard that offers a seamless approach to a "Field to Fork" supply chain certification philosophy, providing for primary production, food manufacture and distribution.
As of January 2, 2018, new audits will have to be done to SQF Edition 8. Audits conducted prior that date, can still be audited to Edition 7.2 of the SQF code.
SQF Code, Ed. 7.2
The SQF Code, Ed. 7.2 meets the needs of all suppliers in the food industry through an internationally recognized certification system, featuring an emphasis on the systematic application of HACCP for control of food quality hazards as well as food safety. The implementation of an SQF management system addresses a buyer’s food safety and quality requirements and provides the solution for businesses supplying local and global food markets.
- Certification at three levels and on an ongoing basis (suppliers will have the right to use the SQF quality shield upon and for the duration of a Level 3 certification). from Level 1, which incorporates fundamental food safety controls appropriate for low-risk products, to Level 3, indicating a comprehensive implementation of safety and quality management systems.
- SQF practitioner requirement enhances and promotes food safety culture year-round, 24/7.
- Guidance documents for general processing and specific industry sectors such as feed, pet food, and packaging
- Third-party assessment to verify adherence to the rigorous requirements of SQF Code, Ed. 7.2.
What are the benefits?
- Demonstrates a company's level of competency in producing, processing, packaging and distributing safe food;
- Enhances both customer and consumer confidence;
- Development and continuous improvement of your food safety and quality systems;
- Proven business risk reduction strategy;
- Improved performance during regulatory inspections and / or other stakeholder assessments;
- Help reduce assessment inconsistencies and costs of multiple assessment standards.
- Administered by the Food Marketing Institute (FMI), SQF benefits from continual retailer feedback about consumer concerns. These benefits are passed on to SQF certified suppliers, keeping them a step ahead of their competitors.
- SQF is the only scheme to integrate a quality component as well as food safety.
- By obtaining SQF Level 3, companies can use the SQF Quality Shield on their products.
Click here to access SQF E-Audits Reliance Tool.
Need more information regarding SQF for the Food Processing industry? Click on the links below to download guidance documents for “SQF System Elements” (Module 2), “Good Manufacturing Practices for Processing of Food Products” (Module 11), and “Allergen Awareness.”