The Building Maintenance and Strata Management (Lift, Escalator, and Building Maintenance) Regulations 2016 affixed the duty of regular lift maintenance to building owners. Under these regulations, building owners are to employ the services of a registered lift service contractor for monthly maintenance and upkeep. However, with prolific advancements in technology, Remote Monitoring and Diagnostics (RM&D) solutions have opened the doors to multiple opportunities to improve lift safety and reliability through maintenance automation, allowing lift owners and contractors to reduce monthly maintenance to once in every 3 months, per Building and Construction Authority (BCA)’s new regulatory scheme announced on 28 Jul 2022.
RM&D for lifts allows for predictive maintenance without manual monitoring and missed audits. This considerably increases the productivity and reliability of lifts. RM&D for lifts is a key technology enabler that monitors the system 24/7 rather than only during maintenance contractor visits.
The lift operation data continuously feeds into the remote monitoring and control system, which uses data analytics to predict breakdowns and recommends maintenance required. Any impending breakdowns and maintenance requirements alerts will be received by maintenance officers, who can arrange necessary inspection, service, and emergency response.
According to a pilot trial between JTC and TÜV SÜD, implementing RM&D solutions saw a 25% improvement in workforce productivity for the repair and maintenance of lifts and escalators . Introducing sensors and predictive algorithms has shifted operations towards predictive maintenance.
RM&D solutions can accurately detect, diagnose, and predict faults with accuracy of 85%. This reduces lift downtime and enhance productivity significantly.
New cutting-edge analytical tools and technologies create high-value and competent jobs in the built environment sector. The technology also facilitates sustainable wages and training and career progression pathways for a lift specialist.
For lifts to be maintained at three-monthly intervals, organisations can follow the below steps  -
a. Building and lift owners interested in the use of RM&D in lifts must contact BCA for a consultation and trial with a proposed RM&D solution provider.
a. The RM&D solution will be trialled under the monthly maintenance regime to ensure that they are capable of monitoring and predicting issues with lift operations, for an estimated period of 6 months.
a. If the trial is successful, the applicant may then apply to the Commissioner of Buildings (COB) under the Building Maintenance and Strata Management (Lift, Escalator and Building Maintenance) Regulations 2016 for lifts to be allowed to be maintained at three-monthly intervals.
Lift Manager, a BCA-recognised RM&D Solution by TÜV SÜD
TÜV SÜD Lift Manager is an independent predictive maintenance and condition monitoring service that leverages on IoT know-how and TÜV SÜD's lift domain to support your lift operation and maintenance. It monitors all your escalators and lifts from one digitalised platform. We use real-time data about traffic, equipment status, performance, demand, and availability. Its features includes the following:
1. Monitoring – Lift sensors are installed and integrated into lifts to monitor operations in real time.
2. Reporting – Using high-accuracy predictive model algorithms, lift data is analysed to detect and alert to lift failures according to Remaining Time to Downtime (RTD)
Benefits of TÜV SÜD Lift Manager RM&D Service
TÜV SÜD Lift Managers delivers immediate benefits to lift owners as an independent 3rd party solution provider:
• Cost-effective – With the TÜV SÜD Lift Manager, you save over 20% of the O&M costs with a 30% reduction in failure rate.
• Time-saving – Reduce your monthly maintenance to once every 3 months with the use of RM&D
• Predictive maintenance – The proven predictive maintenance solution for lifts provides an 85% detection accuracy
• Easy implementation – TÜV SÜD Lift Manager allows you to operate a single platform for lifts of all brands and models, regardless of their age.
• Better visibility - The operating and maintenance costs become accessible and transparent with increased and granular control over lift operation and maintenance.
• Full digitisation – With RM&D solutions, you can expect lift lifecycle management to become a part of your digitisation efforts for smart buildings.
TÜV SÜD has a team of lift experts who can help you optimise lift safety, reliability, and performance while complying with global and local BCA regulations. From RM&D installation, vertical transport design, to lift certification, we provide an end-to-end evaluation and solution approach for your new or existing lifts. Contact us today.
The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) in Singapore responds within two weeks after completing the application forms. The trial period for the RM&D solution is expected to be around 6 months.
To make an application, the applicant can download the below necessary application forms found on BCA’s website (https://www1.bca.gov.sg/regulatory-info/lifts-escalators/remote-monitoring-diagnostics-for-lifts-in-singapore)
Applicants need to fill out the main form EMEG-RM&D1 with the following supplement forms –
1. Form A: Details of lifts.
2. Form B: Details of performance indicators values (past six months).
3. Form C: RM&D maintenance findings (past six months).
4. Form D: Checklist for monitoring outcomes for BCA for design and performance of remote monitoring and diagnostics solution for lifts.
Chọn vị trí