INDIA: GUIDELINES FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF REVISED IS 16333 (PART 3): 2022
OCTOBER 2022 - ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS
In force since 10 Oct. 2022
On 10 Oct. 2022, Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) published a guideline to implement IS 16333 (Part 3): 2022. The Indian standard for ‘Mobile Phone Handsets Part 3 Indian Language Support for Mobile Phone Handsets – Specific Requirements (First Revision)’ IS 16333 (Part 3): 2017 has been revised and published as IS 16333 (Part 3): 2022. The last date for concurrent running for both the Indian standards has been extended to 17 December 2022 after which the existing IS 16333 (Part 3): 2017 shall stand withdrawn.
The guidelines for the implementation of the revised standard are given below:
For existing licensees as per IS 16333 (Part 3): 2017
- All existing licensees shall switch over to IS 16333 (Part 3): 2022 by 17 December 2022. Beyond 17 December 2022, no licence shall be operative where compliance to IS 16333 (Part 3): 2022 has not been ensured by the registered user.
- Existing licensee shall submit conformance to IS 16333 (Part 3): 2022 through test report(s) issued by BIS recognized laboratory for any one of the model(s) from the existing scope of licence which had been previously tested as per IS 16333 (Part 3): 2017.
- Further, the licensees shall provide an undertaking stating that requirements of IS 16333 (Part 3): 2022 have been implemented in all other existing models which are in the scope of the licence.
- If the licensee fails to complete all actions by 17 December 2022, cancellation of the licence/ deletion of model from the scope of the licence is to be initiated.
For new applicants:
- New applications are to be accepted as per existing IS 16333 (Part 3): 2017 after 17 November 2022, i.e., one month before the last date of implementation of IS 16333 (Part 3): 2022.
- The existing applications which are under process without IS 16333 (Part 3): 2022 shall be processed as per existing guidelines provided that the applicants submit an undertaking that they shall change over to the revised standard before the last date of implementation, i.e., 17 December 2022.
- If any licensee/ applicant fails to complete all actions by 17 December 2022, the licence / application may be processed for cancellation/ deletion of the model from the scope of the licence.