Understanding Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production Auditing
Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production (WRAP) is the world’s largest factory-based certification program for manufacturers of clothing, footwear and other sewn products.
The WRAP program certifies facilities for compliance with the 12 WRAP Principles which assure safe, legal and ethical manufacturing processes.
A WRAP certification audit will inspect your entire production process to ensure you are compliant with the 12 WRAP Principles and provides your customers assurance that your goods are ethically produced.
The 12 WRAP Principles consist of:
- Compliance with laws and workplace regulations
- Prohibition of forced labor
- Prohibition of child labor
- Prohibition of harassment or abuse
- Compensation and benefits as required by law
- Hours of work as limited by law
- Prohibition of discrimination
- Health and safety
- Freedom of association and collective bargaining
- Customs compliance
WRAP certification process
Follow these steps to obtain WRAP certification:
- Application – A production facility submits basic information and submits a registration fee to WRAP.
- Self-assessment – The facility will conduct a self-assessment of its compliance with the 12 WRAP principles.
- Monitoring – After submitting a self-assessment, the facility selects TÜV SÜD as a monitoring organization to audit the facility against WRAP’s 12 principles.
- Evaluation – TÜV SÜD auditors perform an on-site audit and provides a summary report on findings, along with certification recommendation or corrective action plan.
- Certification – Receive report from TÜV SÜD and certification from WRAP.
WRAP Consists of a 3-Level Program
The program awards certification to facilities in accordance to the degree of compliance with the 12 WRAP Principles:
- Platinum (valid for 2 years): Facilities demonstrate full compliance for three consecutive certification audits
- Gold (valid for 1 year): Facilities demonstrate full compliance with WRAP’s 12 Principles.
- Silver (valid for 6 months): Facilities demonstrate substantial compliance with minor issues.
Benefits of WRAP Certification
An independent, third-party WRAP certification audit offers multiple benefits to your brand:
- Ensures apparel, footwear and other sewn-goods workers are treated fairly and humanely
- Improves your brand’s reputation among consumers as a fair employer
- Reduces health and safety hazards in the workplace, as well as industrial action
- Improves employee engagement and boosts productivity
- Avoids expensive litigation and reputational damage if one of your factories is found to be breaking relevant laws
TÜV SÜD is accredited to conduct WRAP audits in India, China, Vietnam and Bangladesh. In addition, we have a global network of specialists who provide multidisciplinary expertise on a wide range of auditing and certification services in key markets. We serve as a one-stop service provider for companies requiring auditing and certification against social compliance programs and we can integrate WRAP certification audits with assessments for management systems such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, SA8000®, ETI, BSCI and CoC.