Ensure Safety of Cableways
Aerial cableways provide mass transport for hikers, skiers, walkers and professional athletes. Operators of cableway installations need to maintain safety and availability. Cableways that carry people must comply with safety and quality regulations such as the Cableway Directive 2000/9/EC. Manufacturers need to ensure subsystems and safety components are certified according to the Directive before placing cableway installations on the market. For new installations, operators have to ensure the entire cableway system and infrastructure is validated according to local regulations and laws. Existing installations are subject to annual inspections by an independent organization.
aerial lift inspection Benefits
- Assurance of safety – through comprehensive periodic testing and inspection services that ensure the safe functioning of your components and systems.
- Legal certainty – with our in-depth familiarity with state-of-the-art technology and knowledge of relevant regulations and directives.
- Operational availability – with comprehensive solutions from a single source that minimize operational holdups to your installations.
- Enhancing your reputation – with the TÜV SÜD inspection and certification mark, which is widely regarded as a guarantee of safety and reliability.
Our aerial lift services
TÜV SÜD is a leading aerial lift safety specialist. Our experts provide world-class knowledge for designers, manufacturers and operators of cableways and ski tows. As a recognized notified body, we are accredited to certify safety components and subsystems of your cableways to the Cableway Directive.
For operators, our experts offer comprehensive testing, aerial lift inspection and consulting services to support the safety, quality and cost effectiveness of your installations and ensure compliance with national regulations. Our aerial lift service portfolio includes:
- Testing and inspection
TÜV SÜD tests and inspects cableway installations throughout their lifecycle. This includes after commissioning before public operation, after equipment repair or replacement and on a regular annual basis. We also test cableways for material handling as covered by the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC. Our tests and inspections include:
- Thorough examination of all cableway components, including safety devices and safety functions performed by the electrical control system
- Operational testing (e.g. brake performance testing)
- Wire rope, haul rope and track rope testing using the magnetic induction method
- Preparation of safety reports
- Fire safety
- Non-destructive testing of clamps, drives, hangers and cabins
- Wall-thickness measurements on hanger pipes
- Stress measurement on vehicles, sheaves and other components
- Vehicle service life assessment
- Damage assessment
- Testing of hoisting equipment, gates and lifts
- Aerial lift certification according to the Cableway Directive
- We certify all subsystems and safety components as per the Cableway Directive 2000/9/EC for design and production.
- Aerial lift certification of cableway operation
- This unique service from TÜV SÜD enables operators to become a certified cableway operation by evaluating the suitability, consistency and usability of the entire operation and maintenance procedures.
Aerial lift consulting and training services
- We offer consultation throughout your cableway installation lifecycle, including feasibility studies, comparisons between different cableway systems during the planning phase, independent evaluation of manufacturers’ proposals, and valuation of your installation.
Our services also include employee training on directives and safety awareness, workplace evaluation, and provision of occupational health and safety experts.
- We provide quality assurance and certification as per ISO 9001 and advisory services on environmental services as per ISO 14001.
How TÜV SÜD can help you
TÜV SÜD is widely known as an independent third-party solutions provider that conducts impartial analyses and tests for aerial lifts. We ensure the safety of your components and installations, covering all electrical, mechanical and civil engineering aspects.
Our experts are involved in developing international and European standards governing cableways. As an active member of several OITAF working groups, we are also very familiar with new regulations. In addition, TÜV SÜD is a recognized notified body with over 55 years of experience in inspection and certification of all kinds of cableways, in accordance with the relevant regulations.