Learn about the en 1090 standard
If you are looking to access EU markets for your industrial equipment, compliance with international standards is critical to gaining this market access. EN 1090 standards govern the execution and conformity assessment of steel and aluminum structures and comprise the following European standards that implement the requirements of the Construction Products Regulation (CPR) for steel and aluminum structures:
- EN 1090-1: Requirements for conformity assessment for structural components (CE marking)
- EN 1090-2: Technical requirements for the execution of steel structures
- EN 1090-3: Technical requirements for the execution of aluminum structures
EN 1090 Execution Classes
EN 1090 standards have 4 defined execution classes (EXC), which each hold their own set of requirements. A structure’s execution class is defined by the engineering effort that is needed to implement the design parameters. The classes include:
- EXC 1: This is comprised of structural components made of steel up to the strength class of S275 and structural components made of aluminum alloys. This class also covers agricultural buildings.
- EXC 2: This is the most common class and covers all supporting structures made of steel up to strength class of S700.
- EXC 3: This class covers supporting structures made of steel up to strength class S700 as well as structural components that are made of aluminum alloys.
- EXC 4: This includes all structural components that hold serious consequences for people and the environment in case of failure.
Follow the Requirements of the EN 1090 standards
The Importance of EN 1090 Certification
Manufacturing construction stakeholders must comply with the requirements of the new EN 1090 standards to obtain the CE Marking for their structures and put them on the European market. Without the CE Marking, stakeholders face potential legal consequences for any damage caused by these structures. Under the new requirements, manufacturers must prove the conformity of their products through type testing and the certification of their Factory Production Control (FPC) by a third-party Notified Body before issuing a Declaration of Performance.
TÜV SÜD's EN 1090 Testing & Certification Services
TÜV SÜD is a third-party Notified Body authorized to carry out EN 1090 assessment and certification. From the onset, our Industrial Technical Inspection Services experts provide the complete certification process in accordance with EN 1090 and the execution classes. This enables you to gain market access to the European market by fixing the CE Marking to your products. We certify your FPC based on the initial inspection and factory production control. In addition, we conduct ongoing surveillance, evaluation and assessment of your FPC.
Our EN 1090 services include:
- Initial Type Testing and Initial Type Calculation (ITT/ITC): We assess if manufacturers fulfill the requirements to deliver load-bearing components and kits that are compliant with the applicable standard through ITT and ITC.
- Factory Production Control (FPC): Based on ITT/ITC, our experts assess manufacturers to check if there is a factory production control implemented that includes documentation and maintenance to ensure that products placed on the market have the necessary and declared performance features.
- Initial inspection: As a Notified Body, TÜV SÜD comes in during the initial type inspection to verify that the FPC is suitable for standard-compliant manufacturing of components and kits.
- Ongoing surveillance: Our experts perform regular mandatory continuous surveillance of your FPC to ensure consistent high quality and standard- compliant manufacturing of components and kits.
benefits of partnering with TÜV SÜD
TÜV SÜD’s Industrial Technical Inspection Services group offers a comprehensive range of testing, inspection and certification services. Benefits to partnering with us include:
- Minimize risk from the onset by identifying and avoiding nonconformities that could lead to legal consequences.
- Increase market access with a CE Marking from TÜV SÜD, enabling you to expand to the European market.
- Partner expertise by working with specialists who have long-standing experience in plant and installation, steam and pressure engineering. We are highly familiar with the state of the art and statutory regulations.
- Gain wide recognition of certification through TÜV SÜD’s reputation for independence and impartiality, ensuring widespread acceptance of your certificates and certification marks