What is nuclear radiation protection and why is it important?
Radiation protection is the means for ensuring the safety of people from the harmful effects of exposure to ionizing radiation. In nuclear power plants, it is important to prove that all radioactive materials are handled safely. Your installation has to comply with all regulations and standards for the licensing procedure. In addition, your materials and electronic devices must remain operable when exposed to radiation.
TÜV SÜD ensures that your radioactive materials are handled and disposed of safely.
Our expertise ensures optimum protection from ionising radiation, effective disposal of radioactive waste and safe dismantling of nuclear facilities at the end of their lifecycle. Beyond measuring radioactivity, our experts support you in the handling of radioactive materials and activity flow. We can also assist you with occupational radiation protection such as shielding calculations, dose measurements and inspections according to the ALARA principle.
What does nuclear radiation protection involve?
- Assistance in radiation and activity monitoring in nuclear facilities, from conceptual design to support during implementation and maintenance
- Measurement of radioactivity on site and in accredited radiation laboratories
- Leakage tests of radioactive sources
Radioactive materials, activity flow and radioecology
- Evaluation of activity flow, activity retention and confinement of radioactive materials
- Dispersion analysis of radioactive substances in air and water
- Radiological incident analysis, comprising identification and evaluation of accidents as well as evaluation of the release and dispersion of radioactive materials
- Assistance with radiation protection issues in a radiological emergency
- Determination of radiation exposure for airborne and liquid discharges as well as naturally occurring radioactive materials (NORM/ TENORM)
- Environmental impact assessments (EIA)
Occupational radiation protection
- Assessment of structural, technical and administrative radiation protection measures and organization
- Advisory on external and internal radiation exposure control and shielding design
- Optimisation with recognised computer codes
- Determination of radiation resistance of materials and electronic devices to guarantee they operate when exposed to radiation