ISO 26262 Second Edition Modules 1-4 incl. Examination 'Functional Safety Engineer'
The ISO 26262 Functional Safety Training and Certification Program (FSCP) is a personal certification program. The program trains professionals to have complete understanding and updated technical knowledge of the safety related systems that the standard accounts for. It aims at building a basic understanding about safety-related functions with respect to electrical and electronic systems to minimise risks and failure in the automotive sector. It applies from the concept phase, design phase, product development, commissioning to decommissioning phase. So, basically it covers the complete lifecycle of the automotive product. Implementing ISO 26262 in the initial phase, helps to ensure that no such risks surface at a later stage of production, when it becomes expensive to fix the problem.
Any professional who is interested in understanding the functional safety-related electrical and electronic systems consisting of hardware and software components in automotive vehicles, working or willing to make a career in the automotive industry sector must attend the program. The course can be taken up to have a clear understanding and practical experience of how safety- related systems must be operated and controlled to mitigate risks and avoid errors. They may include product developers, R&D professionals, control engineers, safety engineers, system integrators, EPCs, managers of engineering departments, sales representatives for safety products systems and services, sales engineers and managers, marketing specialists or anybody who wants to get their functional safety knowledge certified in the associated field of ISO 26262 Functional Safety in the automotive industry.
The certified Functional Safety according to ISO 26262 is a training spanned across 4 and a half days comprising of the following:
- Day 1 - Module 1: Overview of Functional Safety and FSM for ISO 26262 2nd Edition Sections 1 - 12
- Day 2 - Module 2: From Risk Analysis to System Design for ISO 26262 2nd Edition Sections 3, 4, 8, 9, 12
- Day 3 - Module 3: Development and Assessment of safety-relevant Hardware for ISO 26262 2nd Edition Sections 5, 8, 9, 11
- Day 4 - Module 4: Development and Assessment of safety-relevant Software for ISO 26262 2nd Edition Sections 6, 8, 9
- Day 5 - Examination (Half-day)
Comprising the following topics:
Motor vehicle risk analysis to system design according to ISO 26262
- Hazard analysis with risk assessment (risk analysis / ASIL allocation)
- Derivation of a functional safety concept
- Derivation of the technical safety requirements and creation of the technical safety concept
Development & Assessment of safety relevant hardware according to ISO 26262
- Fundamentals of reliability consideration
- Quantitative and qualitative requirements for hardware design
- Introduction and performance of safety oriented analysis of ISO 26262
- Rating of faults, calculation of fault metrics and reliability characteristics
- Assessment of data communications
Development & Assessment of Safety-Relevant Hardware according to ISO 26262
- General requirements for the software process : process models
- Selection of methods, techniques and measures required by the standard
- Practical planning of SW development depending on ASIL
- Special topics
- Definition of safety measures / hardware diagnosis
- Partitioning of software
- Comparison between code based and model based development
- Design of project documentation: achieving completeness and reviewability with minimal effort
Role of safety analysis
- Comprehensive analysis in the safety lifecycle
- Introduction of commonly used analysis techniques and their strengths / weakness
- Amplification of the reliability consideration at hardware level
- Interlinking of various safety analysis
- Application example
Employees and others can use this program to demonstrate that they have the necessary expertise in the field of functional safety for the automotive industry in accordance with ISO 26262. Upon successful completion of the FSCP program, participants will receive an FSCP certificate as proof of their qualification, knowledge and experience in the automotive industry. Our certificates are not subject to any time limit of validity.
All course modules 1 - 4 adopt a situation-based approach to the role of safety analyses and supporting processes and the resulting deliverables. Course modules 1 to 4 will introduce you to the processes necessary for your role, OEM, Tier 1 and Tier 2 in the safety life cycle. After the course you will become familiarized with the individual topics with the help of practical examples. Explanations of the necessary work products and appropriate treatment of the safety plan are naturally an integral part of all modules.
- Enhance your efficiency with training courses linking theory with practical experience in the area of functional safety.
- Minimize risks by keeping your employees up to date with regard to standards and regulations in science and technology, enabling them to identify problems before your operations are affected.
- Avoid product recalls and loss of reputation by applying an optimized, tailored process.
- Gain competitive edge by applying your knowledge of the diverse roles throughout the safety life-cycle in order to develop the best solutions for you and your customers.
As an expert in the field of functional safety, you can secure a number of advantages for yourself and your company with a certificate according to FSCP ISO 26262:
- Meet the business requirements and the requirements of the ISO 26262 standard.
- You prove your knowledge in the field of functional safety with a generally recognized certificate and are listed on our website as an official expert in the field of functional safety.
- You qualify as a Functional Safety Engineer, Functional Safety Professional or Functional Safety Expert and thus improve your professional career.
- You will expand your internal competencies, tackle projects in the field of functional safety effectively and efficiently, and thus secure a competitive advantage.
In our FSCP training program, we provide professionals with the latest knowledge in the field of functional safety and best practices. Our experienced instructors will support you during the training, answer your questions and teach you the basics.
After passing the certification exam, you will receive the corresponding FSCP certificate from us as well as a signature stating your qualifications and an entry on our website.
We offer certificates at three qualification levels and test specialists in the field of functional safety according to the highest quality standards. After passing the exams, you will receive a TÜV SÜD certificate with the corresponding title to prove your level of knowledge. Without exception, our exams are internationally recognized and are held in English.
Please note that the cost of this program only covers the Functional Safety Engineer exam. If you would like to seek Functional Safety Professional or Expert Level Certification you need to pay an extra fee for the exam separately, as well as meet the following prerequisites:
Level 1: Functional Safety Engineer according to ISO 26262
- Evaluation of the basic knowledge of the candidates for ISO 26262 Exam: Multiple-choice exam with a duration of 3 hours
Level 2: Functional Safety Professional according to ISO 26262
- Evaluation of the basic knowledge of ISO 26262 and the practical application of the standard by the candidates
Exam: Multiple-choice exam and open-ended questions with a duration of 4 hours
Must be passed: At least 75% in the MC part and 50% in the 5 open questions
Prerequisite to attain Level 2 certification:
- Up to six years of professional experience in the respective industry (academic degrees are credited as follows: Bachelor's degree 2 years, Master's degree 3 years, PhD 4 years).
- Proof of participation in two reference projects in the field of functional safety
Level 3: Functional Safety Expert according to ISO 26262
- Evaluation of the basic knowledge of ISO 26262 and the practical application of the standard by the candidates.
Exam: Multiple-choice exam and open-ended questions with a duration of 4 hours
Must be passed: At least 75% in the MC part and 50% in the 10 open questions
Prerequisite to attain Level 3 certification:
- Up to ten years of professional experience in the respective industry (the academic degrees are credited as follows: Bachelor's degree 2 years, Master's degree 3 years, Doctorate 4 years).
- Submission of two case studies as evidence that the candidate has in-depth knowledge in the field of functional safety and can apply the practices of functional safety in an organization.
- Competence in communication on functional safety.
If you're looking to attain Level 2 or Level 3 certification, please contact our team of Academic Advisors today at [email protected] or (978) 573-1997.
There are no entry requirements to participate in this training.
ISO 26262 functional safety is an international standard that regulates functional safety in electrical and electronic systems consisting of hardware and software components of road vehicles. Compliance to ISO 26262 is crucial for the OEMs, automotive suppliers to ensure human safety and automotive development.
ISO 26262 Functional Safety Training and Certification Program trains individuals to have the technical knowledge and practical experience in understanding safety-related systems in road vehicles. When the individual has complete knowledge of the safety related systems, they can take more informed steps on the ground and avoid mishaps and risks. This would ensure steps to be taken at the initial stages and avoid any undue limitations at later stages that would lead to saving both time and money. It would also ensure employee, company and customer satisfaction to the highest levels.
TÜV SÜD America is a leading international institution providing functional safety training across automotive industries in the US including OEMs and auto ancillary industries. Our ISO 26262 functional safety training and certification programs conducted in the US are globally accredited, as per the international norms. The ISO 26262 functional safety training and certification can be obtained by joining the course and completing the course as per the modules in the stipulated time provided to the trainees.
All training modules can be ordered as individual modules or in combination as a package. We can also offer these modules as in-house training courses on site in your company.
This page outlines the training modules you can register for as well as a description of the three different certification levels you can achieve. By attending modules and passing the requisite examinations you can obtain the following titles. Regarding our FSCP Functional Safety Certification Program you can become an:
- “Functional Safety Engineer” - a beginner level course with a general overview
- “Functional Safety Professional” - an intermediate level requiring a minimum of 6 yrs experience
- “Functional Safety Expert” - an expert level requiring 10 yrs experience