Functional Safety Engineer of Railway Applications
Functional safety ensures that safety risks due to hazards caused by the mal-functional behavior of systems are reduced to an acceptable level. These safety risks are increasing in the rail industry as rail technology is becoming more and more complex, with both hardware and software interacting in different ways and components that are sourced from multiple markets.
Any professional involved in the management of Functional Safety in Rail Industry or any individual interested in making a career in the field of Functional safety specific to rail industry can benefit from our Functional Safety Training Program for Rail Industry. They may include:
- Project leads
- Quality representatives
- Safety officers primarily focusing on the development of programmable electronic safety systems; Users and integrators of safety devices and systems, etc.
Day 1: EN 50126 (IEC 62278) - RAMS
• Overview: European directives, understanding standardization, standards in the railway signaling technology
• Elements of RAMS and affecting factors
• Risk / Risk Analysis
• Safety Integrity
• Life Cycle Model
Day 2: EN 50129 / IEC 62425
• Process of risk and hazard control
• Safety integrity levels
• Quality Management
• Safety Management
• Safety demonstration
• Identification of safety requirements
• Technical and functional safety
• Basic methods (FMEA, FTA, Markov models)
Day 3: EN 50128 / IEC 62279
• Software safety requirement levels (SSAS)
• Personnel and responsibilities
• Life Cycle Model
• Use of COTS software
• Requirements of the phases (sections)
• Verification / Validation
• Techniques / measures
• Application Data
• Safety transmission system reference architecture
• Overview of the threats
• Overview of the necessary steps to control
• Calculation of the hazard rate of the transmission channel
Day 4: Examination• Test (3h) for Functional Safety Certified Engineer / Professional for the Railway Industry
• Certificate of attendance states EN 50126 (IEC 62278), EN 50129 (IEC 62425), EN 50128 (IEC 62279) and EN 50159
• Condition for the Functional Safety Engineer/Professional examination is the participation in all training days.
This 3 and a half-day course includes the following standards with an exam on the final day:
EN 50126 (IEC 62278): Specification and Demonstration of Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS)
EN 50129 (IEC 62425): Safety related electronic systems for signaling
EN 50128 (IEC 62279): Software for railway control and protection systems
EN 50159: Safety-related communication in transmission systems
Successful completion of the course exam is required to receive a TÜV SÜD Academy certificate for this course.
- Course delivered by one of TÜV SÜD's leading industry experts
- Small class sizes enhance trainer-delegate relationship
- Receive globally recognised TÜV SÜD certificate upon completion
Instructor-led in a virtual classroom.
Level 1: Leading to title: “Functional Safety Engineer” (Beginner Level)
- Proof of safety project experience is not required
- It is highly recommended to participate at the corresponding TÜV SÜD training modules.
- Multiple choice questions
Level 2: Leading to title: “Functional Safety Professional” (Intermediate Level)
Requirements for admission to the course:
- 6 years of industry experience in Functional Safety.
- The evidence of the following educational qualifications will be counted towards:
- Bachelor's degree: 2 years
- Master's degree: 3 years
- Ph.D. degree: 4 years
- Evidence of participation in two Functional Safety projects.
- It is recommended to participate at the corresponding TÜV SÜD training modules.
- Multiple choice and open questions
- Extra cost not included in price.
Please note that this course training includes the cost examination for Level 1, leading to title #Functional Safety Engineer". If you're intending to achieve Level 2 certification, please contact our team of Academy advisors ([email protected]) to submit the evidence required and payment for the Level 2 examination.
TÜV SÜD additionally offers the opportunity to deliver this training as a dedicated in-house course, delivered solely to your organisation to meet your needs and requirements. To receive a quote and find out more information, please contact us at [email protected].