IEC 61508: The Basic Functional Safety Standard
The IEC 61508 Functional Safety Training & Certification is designed in order to train participants in the basic principles of IEC 61508 Functional Safety and also at the same time improve their expertise in safety related functions for Electrical, Electronic and Programming systems. The IEC 61508 functional safety standard applies to all industry sectors and covers the complete lifecycle of a product. The industry requirements are persistently changing in mobile and stationary systems which requires companies to have an expertise with regards to safety in order to master its complexity. Its implementation is difficult and requires significant experience with safety related concepts. This is achieved with our training and personnel qualification program which is accepted worldwide. Our objective is to provide you with the right, updated and practical knowledge to efficiently handle safety related systems, mitigate risks and improve your competence.
- In this IEC 61508 training you will learn which processes are necessary for your role in the safety life cycle.
- After the course, you will be familiarized with the individual topics with the help of practical examples.
- The necessary work products and appropriate treatment of the safety plan will be explained.
The training is designed for safety managers, software and hardware developers, test engineers, project leads, quality managers and safety officers who focus on the development of programmable electronic safety systems and want to carry out these developments on the basis of the internationally recognized standard IEC 61508.
The IEC 61508 functional safety training consists of several modules which can be booked separately or in combination with an exam to gain a TÜV SÜD certificate. Register for the FSCP exam level 1 to be certified as “Functional Safety Engineer”, level 2: “Functional Safety Professional” or level 3: “Functional Safety Expert”.
- Module 1: Introduction, definition of functional safety management, system analysis for IEC 61508
Part 1 of IEC 61508 requires implementation of a FSM (Functional Safety Management) system to provide an organisational framework for the development of safety-relevant electronic systems. After an introduction to Functional Safety and general overview of the sector, the program presents the tasks and methods involved in safety management together with conceptual aspects. The main design criteria of standards and approaches for designing a functional concept and the associated system analysis are explained. The day concludes with an introduction to the requirements which must be fulfilled by Requirements Engineering.
The content of Day 1 is aimed at management executives, project managers, safety and QM managers and all staff involved in functional safety projects.
- Module 2: Development and evaluation of safety-relevant hardware for IEC 61508
Module 2 explains how mathematical and analytical methods can be applied to verify hardware designs fulfilling the requirements of IEC 61508 Part 2. A case study is used as the basis for a detailed explanation of the systematic approach to be used in analysis and the method of determining the necessary probabilistic safety parameters.
The content of Day 2 is aimed particularly at responsible operators and users in the field of hardware and software development, heads of functional safety projects and safety managers.
- Module 3: Development and evaluation of safety-relevant software for IEC 61508
Part 3 of IEC 61508 presents methods, procedures, documentation and the software safety life cycle, which must all be taken into consideration in developing safety-relevant software. Practical examples are used to introduce the principles underlying the standard and the procedures for dealing with the requirements of this part of the standard.
The content of Day 3 is aimed particularly at users and responsible operators in software and hardware development, heads of functional safety projects and safety managers.
- Exam (Half-day)
With our FSCP Functional Safety Certification Program, you can be certified in Functional Safety. After completing the exam on Day 4, attendees receive a certificate confirming their qualification according to their chosen FSCP level and are entered in the list of certification-holders on our website.
IEC 61508 is an international standard for the “functional safety” of electrical, electronic, and programmable electronic systems (PES). IEC 61508 standard provides a common framework to industries to design products and systems for safety-related applications to render the plant safe. The standard specifically covers safety-function related failures performed by E/E/PE safety-related systems. It ensures that systems are designed, implemented and operated as per safety life cycle and safety integrity level (SIL). The safety cycle has 16 phases that address analysis, realisation and operation of safety-related systems step-by-step in phases. It basically involves documenting a safety plan, executing that plan, documenting its execution and continuing to follow that safety plan through to decommissioning with further appropriate documentation throughout the life of the system. All changes in future follow the pattern of planning, execution, validation, and documentation similarly. IEC 61508 is the basic standard of safety and applicable in all industries. Hence, companies need to ensure that their professionals are well trained in IEC 61508 Functional Safety for understanding, designing, implementing and executing the protective systems in an efficient way to mitigate risks and avoid failures in the system life cycle. This would help companies improve their acceptance levels and have a safe workplace environment.
FSCP FUNCTIONAL SAFETY CERTIFICATION PROGRAM IEC 61508
IEC 61508 Functional Safety Training & Certification Program, helps understand requisites for a safe environment in the workplace by training individuals to effectively and efficiently use the safety processes . It focuses on the methods to be used to design, deploy and maintain systems related to Electrical, Electronic and Programming systems. Functional Safety Training Certification Program in accordance with IEC 61508 standard, helps industries to train their professionals to meet national and international standards in engineering. The IEC 61508 Training & Certification Program, elevates the standards of the companies and they stand more and more competitive with effective measures of functional safety in place. This helps organizations gain employee trust as well as customer confidence, that ensures only upward growth in business by each day.
The more complex the technology, the more functional safety experts are needed. Our Functional Safety Certification Program (FSCP) offers you as an employee the best opportunity to certify your functional safety competence according to IEC 61508. As a company, you have proof that you can deploy your employees who have passed the exam in the appropriate positions in the security lifecycle.After completing the examination, attendees receive a certificate confirming their qualification, knowledge, and experience according to their chosen FSCP level and are entered in the list of certification-holders on our website. Please note that our certificates are not subject to any time limit of validity.
TÜV SÜD provides IEC 61508 Functional Safety Training & Certification Program to working professionals across multiple industries. TÜV SÜD’s experts provide training as per latest improvements in the field and ensure that the trainees are up-to-date as per international standards of functional safety. The training aims at improving the application of safety systems and functioning of the systems with respect to the E/E/PE to avoid any damage to man, material or environment.
TÜV SÜD provides a one stop solution in the area of functional safety from training to assessment of tool kits and projects, to providing certification, all under one roof. Our courses focuses not only on the concepts but also on practical applications that are relatable to the industry.
As an expert in the field of functional safety, you can secure a number of advantages foryourself and your company with a certificate according to FSCP IEC 61508. Some of the benefits to the business and individuals are as follows:
- Demonstrate individual expertise as an IEC 61508 functional safety professional. Our training courses provide in-depth expertise relevant to Electrical/Electronic systems and equipment. We qualify you or your employees to work with functional safety in accordance with IEC 61508. You qualify as a Functional Safety Engineer (Level 1), Functional Safety Professional (Level 2), or Functional Safety Expert (Level 3) and thus improve your professional career. Candidates who pass Levels 2 or 3 join the database of TÜV SÜD functional safety experts.
- Comply with IEC 61508 standard with a certification that clearly demonstrates and documents your expertise, experience and skills in functional safety.
- Maintain a competitive advantage by building internal competencies to tackle functional safety projects effectively and efficiently.
Based on our diverse practical experience in the field of Functional Safety and on our active membership of the relevant standard bodies, we supply you with the necessary expertise in the cross-industry generic standard IEC 61508 2nd Edition. Case studies and practical examples are used to demonstrate the procedures for dealing with individual topics and explain the work results and documents which must be delivered. Key processes from the safety life cycle are introduced, and the tasks and responsibilities associated with them are explained.
After the course, you will become familiar with the individual topics with the help of practical examples. All course modules 1 - 3 adopt a situation-based approach to the methods of safety analyzes and supporting processes and the resulting work products. Explanations of the necessary work products and appropriate treatment of the safety plan are naturally an integral part in all modules.
This is an Instructor-led training in a virtual classroom. This means the course is Live Online. Participants will learn through online teaching. Lectures, case studies, group exercises, discussions, problem solving, examples with explanation, assignments and/or quizzes happen in the virtual classroom training. Participants need to connect to the class from any internet accessible location. Each module is delivered live using webinar technology, creating a virtual classroom learning environment. Live sessions provide you with direct access to the trainer so you can ask questions, understand complex concepts and share ideas with peers. Webcam and microphone are REQUIRED to interact with the instructor and/or other participants.
The training program culminates in an online proctored exam in which you will need your webcam on.
The course content and structure are designed by the domain experts from TÜV SÜD. With immense experience and knowledge in the relevant standards, our team of product specialists and technical experts at TÜV SÜD, developed the course content based on current business landscape and market requirements.
The examination will be conducted virtually. All participants in the exam will receive the link to access the exam on the day the exam is scheduled. The exam takes 3 hours and takes the form of a written test. Our certificates do not have an expiry date.
We offer certificates at three qualification levels and test specialists in the field offunctional safety according to the highest quality standards. After passing the exams, youwill receive a TÜV SÜD certificate with the corresponding title to prove your level ofknowledge. Without exception, our exams are internationally recognized and are held inEnglish.
Please note that the cost of this program only covers the Functional Safety Engineerexam. If you would like to seek Functional Safety Professional or Expert LevelCertification you need to pay an extra fee for the exam separately. As well asmeet the prerequisites listed in this page.
If you're looking to attain Professional or Expert level certification, please contact our team of Academic Advisors today at [email protected] or (978) 573-1997.
Level 1: FS Engineer IEC 61508 (Beginner Level)
- Proof of safety project experience is not required.
- It is highly recommended to participate at the corresponding TÜV SÜD training modules.
Level 2: FS Professional IEC 61508 (Intermediate Level)
- 6 years of industry experience in Functional Safety. The evidence of the following educational qualifications will be counted towards:
- Bachelor's degree: 2 years
- Master's degree: 3 years
- Ph.D. degree: 4 years
- Evidence of participation in two Functional Safety projects.
- It is recommended to participate at the corresponding TÜV SÜD training modules.
Level 3: FS Expert IEC 61508 (Expert Level)
- 10 years of industry experience in Functional Safety. The evidence of the following educational qualifications will be counted towards:
- Bachelor's degree: 2 years
- Master's degree: 3 years
- Ph.D. degree: 4 years
- Evidence of a responsible position in two Functional Safety projects.
- It is recommended to participate at the corresponding TÜV SÜD training modules.
What is the significance of IEC 61508 in a Functional Safety Training program?
- For any kind of industry, functional safety is most fundamental for having a risk-free work environment that also runs efficient work processes at the same time. The IEC 61508 Functional Safety Training program aims at training individuals to have complete know-how with respect to electrical / electronic systems or equipment. This would enable them to have complete understanding and control over the safety control systems. It helps trigger safety systems at the right time to mitigate risks and avoid failures. Such training programs provide companies an opportunity to get their professionals trained as per the standards and ensure a safe work environment free from hazards and risks.
What does the IEC 61508 Functional Safety Standard specify?
- The IEC 61508 standard of Functional Safety, sets out practices in the engineering of systems that ensures safe industrial processes throughout the life cycle of a product, by focusing on the methods to be used to design, deploy and maintain systems related to Electrical, Electronic and Programming systems.
Why is it important for an individual to have Functional Safety Training in IEC 61508 module?
- IEC 61508 Standard Functional Training typically aims at training professionals to have the right knowledge and practical experience in safety functions related to electrical, electronic and programmable systems. When professionals working related to functional safety are updated with the latest improvements in the related field, they can take much more informed steps. This helps to mitigate risks and avoid undue failure. The functional safety training program helps in both individual and organisational growth. This indirectly helps boost business and improve profits exponentially
How to obtain an IEC 61508 Functional Safety Training in the US?
- TÜV SÜD America is a leading international institution in providing functional safety training across industries in the US. Our industry specific IEC 61508 Functional Safety Training and Certification program in the US are globally accredited. The IEC 61508 Functional Safety Training and Certification can be obtained by joining the course and completing the course as per the modules in the stipulated time.
TÜV SÜD is a leading company in IEC 61508 standard functional safety training and certification. The training provided is well-recognised in the US and worldwide. The safety training experts from TÜV SÜD Academy have complete knowledge and the technical know-how of the subject, and they aim at providing practical knowledge in the IEC 61508 functional safety training course. Persons entrusted with functional safety have a major role to play, as their competence matters for the efficient overall functioning of the plant.