Dates: 2012 - Present
Commissioned in 1952, the primary function of the Pile Fuel Storage Pond (PFSP) was receipt, decanning and storage of fuel prior to reprocessing until operations were wound down following commissioning of the First Generation Magnox Storage Pond (FGMSP). From 1962 until 1970 the facility was used for ad-hoc storage of intermediate level waste.
After a quiescent period, a programme of retrievals of bulk sludge, canned fuel, skips and machinery began with significant progress achieved to date. Our Nuclear Technologies Division has played a fundamental role in the development of the PFSP strategy so that the project may achieve its short, medium and long term goals.