Dates: 2012 - Present
The First Generation Magnox Storage Pond (FGMSP) was built in the 1950s and commissioned in 1959 to receive fuel from Magnox reactors where it was prepared for reprocessing until 1986 when the Fuel Handling Plant took over. The facility is currently part of the risk and hazard reduction programme containing an inventory which includes fuel, fuel bearing solid items, sludge and the pond liquor itself.
For more than a decade our Nuclear Technologies Division has delivered a range of packages of work to address the decommissioning challenges in the facility particularly associated with the recovery and processing of the waste inventory such as project management of non-active trials, strategy development and wasteform assessments.
Bosnia and Herzegovina