Geotechnical and hydrogeological uncertainties can substantially increase construction time and cost if risks are not identified and mitigated at an early stage. Cases of failure could result in expensive rework, project delays and reputation damage. Stakeholders therefore require a high level of expertise to determine the right analyses and measures to ensure that projects proceed smoothly and safely.
TÜV SÜD’s hydrogeological and geotechnical advisors can help you assess the condition of your building or infrastructure project prior to construction and define how your construction can accommodate such conditions with minimal costs in the safest, most efficient manner.
What do hydrogeological and geotechnical advisors do?
In order to proceed with a construction project, the foundations of a designated building area must be certified as both safe and economical. Load-bearing capacities, stability, groundwater conditions or the possibility of a contaminated building area are only a few aspects of hydrogeological and geotechnical engineering that determine the interaction between the subsoil and a built structure.
Different aspects of geotechnics play a role in all types of structure, whether on the surface (e.g. buildings, wind turbines) or underground (e.g. tunnels) or from the soil material itself (e.g. dykes). The risks associated with construction projects can be very costly if left unmitigated. That is why developers, owners, operators and contractors of buildings and infrastructure must ensure the safety and performance of their projects.
It is important to gather relevant and accurate data about the essential features of the infrastructure being built or already completed to mitigate the risks and provide technical and legal certainty for project stakeholders. This is where TÜV SÜD’s geotechnical engineering services and hydrogeological advisors can help.
TÜV SÜD can support you in a wide variety of geotechnical engineering tasks. Rely on an experienced partner and use our geotechnical know-how for your project. Using the latest technologies, we develop personalised solution concepts for your problems and get the job done.
How third-party and geotechnical and hydrogeological advisors can benefit your company
- Minimise risk and achieve certainty in planning - by recognising quality problems early on to avoid damage and expensive rework, thereby reducing your liability risk.
- Ensure quality and save time - with our interdisciplinary support that gives you efficient single-source control. This means you can ensure your project runs safely and on schedule, minimise costly and reputation-damaging delays, improve the quality of your construction project and enhance user satisfaction.
- Gain a competitive edge - by working with an impartial third-party organisation with a worldwide reputation for quality, safety and sustainability, thus improving your company's image and enjoying wide acceptance for your project.
- Benefit from customised service packages - tailored to your project's needs, which provide you with a reliable basis for decision-making from the onset.
What hydrogeological and geotechnical engineering services does TÜV SÜD offer?
TÜV SÜD offers a wide range of hydrogeological and geotechnical engineering services under the following headings: geotechnical advisory, geotechnical engineering, geotechnical risk assessment and risk management and geo-related services.
Our services include:
- Geotechnical investigation
- Planning and supervision of site and laboratory investigations and tests.
Determination of mechanical and hydrogeological parameters of soil and rock masses
Based on site investigation and laboratory results and back-calculation of deformations and stresses observed during the construction in the field.
- Foundation advice
Recommendation of the most economic foundation type and dimension for any structure for the given underground conditions and structural service requirements.
- Slope stabilisation and soil improvement
Recommendation of the most effective and economic methodology and planning of measures, as well as site supervision during implementation.
- Geotechnical reports and recommendations
- Summary of expert's opinion and findings as formal reports that can be presented to other project stakeholders such as the authorities, investors, banks, insurances, courts, designers and architects.
Geotechnical engineering services
- Geotechnical modelling and analyses
- Analytical and numerical analyses for 2D and 3D models of the stability, safety, deformation and settlement of geotechnical structures such as caverns, dams (earth, rockfill, concrete), embankments, excavation pits, foundations (deep and shallow), hydraulic fills, landfills, retaining walls, rock formations, slopes, shafts, soil improvements, solid waste deposits, tailing dams and tunnels.
Hydrogeological analyses and groundwater management
Development of 2D and 3D models for groundwater lowering, dewatering and groundwater harvesting for excavation pits, slope stabilisations, water supply for domestic use and industries and recharge schemes.
- Planning and dimensioning of well systems, drains, pumps and pipelines, etc.
Independent evaluation of soil investigations, geotechnical and hydrogeological parameters, analyses, foundation recommendations, construction methodologies, etc.
- Independent inspection of geotechnical structures
- Assessment of stability and structural safety during construction and service life.
Geotechnical risk assessment and risk management
- Assessment of likelihood and severity of failure and losses
- Review of adequacy of soil investigation, design, work procedures, construction methodologies, monitoring, etc. against the background of the impact of failure and losses on humans, environment, businesses, assets and reputation.
- Regular inspections of structures and audits of activities
- Dynamic process over the lifetime of assets based on operational changes (e.g. construction stages, construction methodologies, excavation levels) and external exposures (e.g. natural hazards).
- Scope of projects and activities
- Covers any kind of geotechnical structure and related activities such as tunnels (sprayed concrete linings and TBM drives), shafts, open mines, hydropower plants, deep excavations, dams, embankments and slopes.
- Geological surveys
- Mapping, interpretation and modelling
- Geotechnical field instrumentation and monitoring
Planning of project-specific instrumentation and monitoring schemes for all types of geotechnical structures, including tunnel linings, retaining walls, etc.
- Installation of instrumentation
- Data interpretation
- Expert opinion
- Geo-environmental services
Environmental due diligence and site assessment phases I + II
- Rehabilitation of contaminated soil and groundwater
- Planning, advisory, management and cost estimation
- Assistance in authority relations
- Solid waste deposits
- Environmental risk analysis
- Disposal advice and planning for contaminated soil and groundwater
- Site supervision
- Third-party inspection
- Health risk assessment
- Engineering seismology and earthquake engineering
Site-specific probabilistic evaluation of seismic hazards
- Calculation of seismic loads for specific earthquake recurrence periods based on local seismicity and soil conditions
- Seismic design
- Soil liquefaction potential
- Seismic hazard maps
- Project management
Tender assistance, subcontractor coordination, contract management, planning of construction sequences, design management, document control, time scheduling, cost control, QA/QC, HSE for all geotechnical and hydrogeological projects
Geotechnical construction supervision and quality control
Technical supervision of all types of geotechnical construction activities
- Cost estimates
- For all geotechnical and hydrogeological services and works
Why choose our hydrogeological and geotechnical advisory services for your business?
With a wide range of services and multidisciplinary engineering capabilities, TÜV SÜD can help you resolve many of today’s most complex building and construction challenges. Our geotechnical and hydrogeological advisors will help design customised assessment and testing programmes tailored to your building’s needs, providing you with a reliable basis for making informed decisions before your project even begins.