Additive manufacturing (AM) material manufacturers face high competition and have strict customer requirements for material quality. Testing provides a way to qualify their products in a highly detailed manner. AM as a relatively new manufacturing processes faces scrutiny in the quality of AM produced parts. At TÜV SÜD, we provide test plans and product testing to ensure specifications are met.
WHY IS TESTING IMPORTANT TO YOUR AM BUSINESS?
A wide variety of materials like cobalt chrome alloys, titanium alloys, aluminide alloys, polyamides, epoxy resins, ABS and ceramics et al are used in the additive manufacturing process. Unlike traditional manufacturing processes, achieving high-quality AM products is not easy to guarantee.
The quality of the final product depends not only on the feedstock quality, but also on the interaction of many other aspects, such as process and hardware. Therefore, it is important to test the properties of the feedstock material as well as the properties of the final part.
TÜV SÜD’S AM TEST HUB
At TÜV SÜD, we are backed by unparalleled expertise in additive manufacturing best practices, as well as decades of in-depth knowledge of the material and various product manufacturing industries. With our network of laboratories and TÜV SÜD’s specialized in-house team of additive manufacturing experts, we help feedstock material suppliers and additive manufacturers validate the quality of their products by testing their materials and properties according to their requirements, based on the related ISO and ASTM standards. TÜV SÜD is recognised globally as an independent and impartial third-party service provider.
We provide different services to test material feedstock and product properties:
- Mechanical testing
We test for parameters such as tensile strength, flexural strength, impact strength and hardness.
- Corrosion testing
We test for resistance to intergranular corrosion, pitting corrosion and for intermetallic phases.
- Thermal analysis
Our analysis studies the materials’ melt viscosity, melting and crystallization temperature, decomposition temperature and heat deflection temperature.
- Physical properties testing
We test the geometry of filaments, flowability of the powder, particle size distribution, particle shape, density, cavities and inclusions of particles, and viscosity of resins.
- Chemical properties testing
Testing covers elemental analysis such as material composition and residual monomer content.
- Lifetime estimation
We conduct creep and stress rupture testing as well as Xenon, Ozon and UV ageing.
- Structural analysis
Our analysis includes tests such as scanning electron microscopy, light microscopy, and porosity analysis.
- Hazardous material testing
We test for hazardous materials and Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs). Through this, we allow for easy market access.
We provide technical reports and test plans:
- Latest testing requirements – We regularly review upcoming and newly release standards relevant to AM to provide the most up to date test plans.
- Analysis of testing required – We provide analysis based on requirements and specification for the testing required. Examples of analysis include testing batches of recycled powders if they still retain the properties comparable to virgin powders, and testing if machine has no cross contamination when changing feedstock material.
YOUR BUSINESS BENEFITS
- Achieve consistent material and product quality and reproducibility – with TÜV SÜD’s rigorous test programs.
- Gain customers’ confidence in your products – with material and product quality assurance through an independent third party.
- Minimise business risks with the help of expert guidance – which help address unforeseen challenges that may arise from new materials and technologies.