UKCA Marking

The UK product marking requirement that will be needed for products being placed on the market in Great Britain

The UK product marking requirement that will be needed for products being placed on the market in Great Britain

What is the UKCA Mark?

UKCA mark

UKCA marking (UK Conformity Assessed marking) is the UK product marking requirement that will be needed for products being placed on the market in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), substituting the EU requirements for CE Marking (CE marking will continue to be accepted in Northern Ireland). UKCA marking will indicate that a product placed on the Great Britain market meets the UKCA Marking requirements. UKCA marking was specified in the original ‘EU Exit’ UK Statutory Instruments, and for most products this is defined in UK Statutory Instrument 2019 No. 696 and amendments (exceptions being Automotive, Marine and Medical devices for example).

‘EU exit’ UK Statutory Instruments and amendments require UKCA marking for products that can be self-declared or currently need a notified body assessment. Initially the UKCA marking requirements will align with CE marking requirements that they replace, but overtime divergence is possible. Note – Additional requirements may need to be considered for products being placed on the UK Northern Ireland market due to separate Northern Ireland Protocol requirements.

When is UKCA marking required?

UKCA will be used to replace the CE Marking requirements for products being placed on the GB market from the 1st of January 2021. Most goods previously subject to the CE marking are now subject to the UKCA marking.

For most products there is a transitional arrangement for acceptance of CE marking until 1st January 2023 following the announcement of an extension (the exception being marine equipment and medical devices for example which already had longer transition periods which remain unchanged).  

Updated government guidance



Suppose you are a manufacturer or distributor based in the United Kingdom or the European Union. You must understand the changes that may impact your trading capabilities.

The 4 steps to UKCA Marking Conformity are:

  1. Complete the UKCA marking form.
  2. Program of work: We will prepare all necessary documentation and issue a work plan based on:
    1. Partnership with CE Marking issuing EU Notified Body
    2. CE Marking Certification portfolio from EU Notified Body
    3. Associated Test reports (if required)
    4. Factory Product Control report assessment from EU Notified Body
  3. Assessment of your current UKCA certification.
  4. UKCA conformity: We issue UKCA supporting certifications for you to apply your UKCA Marking.


Today, the vast majority of laws in the UK are made through Statutory Instruments. Now that the United Kingdom has left the European Union, the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 and the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020 allow Statutory Instruments to be made which rescind and amend legislation which originally emanated from Europe. These Statutory Instruments can be referred to as the ‘EU Exit’ Statutory Instruments.

We are experts in UKCA marking & UKCA certification for market access requirements in Europe and the United Kingdom. We can help you navigate this market by offering one of the most comprehensive choices of market access solutions.

How can TÜV SÜD support you in meeting the UKCA Marking requirements?

As TÜV SÜD is a global company, we have offices in multiple locations to be able to satisfy both CE and UKCA requirements. TÜV SÜD have EU and UK based Notified Bodies and TÜV SÜD BABT has become a UK Conformity Assessment Body (UK Approved Body 0168).

TÜV SÜD UK is still UKAS ISO 17025 accredited and an ILAC member, this will remain acceptable for all test and certification requirements with for example Mutual Recognition Agreements, as with the U.S. for FCC testing and TCB work.

TÜV SÜD BABT can offer immediate UKAS accredited UKCA certification work for the following, with an increasing scope:

  • Marine Equipment Regulations 2016
  • Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2016
  • Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008
  • Radio Equipment Regulations 2017
  • Lift Regulations 2016

UK MACB listing

UKAS accreditation


Some rules are self-declaratory and do not require the approval of an Approved Body. For the UKCA mark, the conditions for self-declaration of conformity are the same as for CE marking.

Earlier called "distributors," importers are businesses carrying items from other EU countries into the United Kingdom. Importers are responsible for adhering to all applicable requirements and applying the UKCA mark to their products. As a result, importing a product from Europe that meets the criteria now requires the approval of a UK Approved Body.

Your company's present status and future market access requirements will dictate the steps you'll need to follow to qualify for the UKCA mark.


The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessment) mark is a new UK product marking that will be mandatory for certain products sold in the United Kingdom. It covers the majority of products that previously allowed the CE mark.

Most products currently represented by CE marking standards and directives will be covered by UKCA marking. We help you with the required conformity assessment procedures that will allow you to attach the UKCA marking to a wide range of product sectors.

Since the UKCA marking is not recognised in the European Union, the CE marking will still be required for products sold in the EU.

With our network of EU Notified Bodies and TÜV SÜD BABT we can offer a truly one stop CE and UKCA testing and certification service.



  • What is the difference between CE and UKCA?

    CE marking is a self-declaration by a producer demonstrating compliance with EU health, safety, and environmental legislation, and confirming that a product meets essential requirements. Similarly, the UKCA mark demonstrates compliance with UK legislation.

  • How long does it take to get UKCA mark?

    The UKCA supporting certifications are required to apply for your UKCA marking. The issuance of the supporting Certificates takes about 2 months after the data is received.

  • What products require a UKCA mark?

    The UKCA mark is required under UK Statutory Instruments and Amendments for products that can be self-declared or require a notified body assessment. The UKCA marking criteria will initially align with the CE marking requirements that they will replace, but there is a chance that they will diverge over time.

Next Steps

Site Selector