- Applicant shall have minimum 6 years of relevant industry experience.
- Dependent of academic qualifications:
- 2 years is deducted if applicant is M. Tech in engineering or equivalent
- If candidate has done Doctorate (PhD), it is considered as equivalent of two years’ experience
- Minimum of 1 year of application of Functional Safety aspects after getting FSEr certificate
- Two references from Client/Line Manager describing application of functional safety aspects in projects undertaken by the candidate.
- Must produce evidence that he has participated in at least 2 HAZARD analysis / SIL determination studies/LOPA studies as a participant and carried out at least 2 case studies during his work experience. This should be endorsed by candidate’s organisation and the TÜV SÜD’s subject matter expert. In instances where the applicant’s employer is not able to endorse the case studies, the same shall be reviewed by TÜV SÜD South Asia’s Functional Safety Expert.
- Must submit TÜV SÜD FSEr or equivalent valid certificate.
Total 100 marks examination
Part - 1 Written Examination
60 Questions: Multiple choice questions
Part - 2 Case studies
Four (4) subjective questions, each of 10 marks (Total 40 marks Descriptive answers* question)
* The questions will be typically for testing the knowledge gained by the student in the course which asks the student to step by step explain an important feature of the course content or it could be sort of testing the candidate in an actual example/application of FS concepts.
Mode of exam:
Invigilator based proctored exam, pen & paper based. No old exam paper is repeated.
Over all 75% is the passing criteria.
Candidate need to score minimum 50% in part 01 and part 02 respectively and need to obtain aggregate of 75% of the total marks (i.e. 75 out of 100) to pass this examination.
Validity of Certificate:
Extension / Recertification:
The certificate gets extended for next five years, if candidate fulfils the below given requirements successfully. After the completion of 5 years of extension the candidate must reappear from the initial certification for the respective level.
- The participants shall submit log of work carried out in the last five years as application of knowledge gain for IEC standards.
- The work related to SIL studies, LOPA Sessions, SIL verification, SIL assessments with proper evidence and the same shall be reviewed by SME.
- Candidate shall be interviewed for 30 minutes. The agenda of interview will be the discussion on the documents submitted by the candidate for recertification.
- If the participant is not having sufficient experience as above mentioned, then the participants shall have to appear for re-examination.
- If the standard ISO/IEC 61508, ISO/IEC 61511 is revised within the 5 years of certification period, then the candidate must appear for the refresher workshop as a pre-requisite and submit the proof for renewal of certification.
Duration of exam:
- 180 minutes is allotted to part 01 and part 02 together
- Permitted 30 minutes extra to the Candidates for part 01 and part 02 together
- whose first language is not the language in which examination is taken and whose ability in that language requires them to work more slowly
- who suffer from disabilities, for example dyslexia, muscular dystrophy etc., which adversely affect their ability to complete the examination in the allotted time.
- Participants will be assessed based on their foundation knowledge and practical application of the standards through a written examination.
- The competency assessed in this level of qualification is application of the standards at the implementation level.
Candidate shall be able to apply, analyse and evaluate the following topics:
- Hazard and Risk Analysis
- PHA, HAZOP, FMEA, LOPA, Tolerable risk guidelines
- Safety Requirement Specifications
- Logic representation, Performance requirements, Design requirement and Documentation requirements
- Conceptual design issues
- Probability theory, statistical analysis, confidence levels, failure rates, total cost of ownership, reliability engineering, equipment architecture and equipment technology
- Detail design issues
- Time value of money, sensor and final element selection and installation, PES programming.
- Functional Safety Management
- Safety Lifecycle, competency of personnel, scheduling and monitoring, auditing, procedure development and documentation
Deliverables to Participants
- Certificate of Successfully completion for “Functional Safety Certified Professional”.
- FSCP card with photograph of candidate on it.