WHAT IS The PRESSURE EQUIPMENT DIRECTIVE?
The European Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) 2014/68/EU provides mandatory guidance for the design, manufacturing and conformity assessment of pressure equipment with a maximum allowable pressure above 0.5 bar or 7.25 psig. Compliance with this Directive is required for designers and manufacturers looking to sell their equipment to the EU. Pressure equipment that is covered by the PED includes pressure vessels, pressure accessories, piping, steam boilers, safety accessories and assemblies.
What are the REQUIREMENTS EFFECTIVE SINCE 1 JUNE 2015
- In addition to manufacturers, importers and distributors, the directive now also applies to "authorised representatives from third countries".
- The classification of operating fluids into hazard categories is in accordance with the new PED and thus GHS/CLP Regulation 1272/2008, and no longer Directive 67/548/EEC.
- The declaration of conformity, too, must be carried out according to GHS/CLP Regulation 1272/2008. Decisive is Article 13 (classification of pressure equipment).
What are the REQUIREMENTS EFFECTIVE SINCE 19 JULY 2016
- The directive has been aligned with the New Legislative Framework – NLF. Against this backdrop, pressure equipment manufacturers will have to review their CE marking procedures and documentation again after 2015 and align them to the
structure of the Directive.
- All economic operators that place new pressure equipment on the EU market must be able to provide the market surveillance authorities for a period of 10 years with details of the economic operators from which they purchased, or to which they sold, specific items of pressure equipment.
- Manufacturers must carry out risk analysis instead of hazard analysis.
- New definitions of some terms, modules and contents.
HOW IS THE PRESSURE EQUIPMENT DIRECTIVE 2014/68/EU AFFECTED BY BREXIT?
View latest UKCA marking information for pressure equipment.
HOW CAN I GAIN ACCESS TO EUROPEAN MARKETS AND ACHIEVE PED COMPLIANCE?
TÜV SÜD can assist you in your pressure equipment needs. Our experts can provide all knowledge, auditing and compliance services to ensure that your pressure equipment will reach EU Markets. Get in touch with us now.
OUR SERVICES AT YOUR ASSISTANCE
- Pressure equipment classification
- Performance of risk analysis
- Selection of an applicable module
- All services on the road from design examination to final assessment
- Certification of additive manufactured pressure equipment