The Renewable Energy Directive 2009/29/EC defines a framework establishing binding sustainability standards for the production of biomass and its processing into bioenergy.
To be eligible for remuneration, tax reductions and crediting to the biofuel quota, liquid and gaseous biofuels and electricity produced from liquid biomass used in the EU must fulfil the following criteria:
- Sustainable cultivation and management of biofuel crop
- Protection of high conservation value areas
- Establishment of an effective chain of custody (CoC)
- Ensuring a minimum GHG saving threshold of 35 % (50 % from 2017 onwards) compared to fossil energy carriers.
To access the European market, compliance with these criteria must be certified by an accredited certification body such as TÜV SÜD. We are one of the first approved biomass sustainability certification bodies. Moreover, we were named best certification company for climate change projects at an international level*. Our global network of auditors supports you across the entire certification process. They are experts in tailoring our services to meet your needs.
*The readership of “Environmental Finance” in 2007 and 2009
Our range of Bioenergy Sustainability Certification packages at a glance
Our basic package confirms that you fulfil the minimum legal requirements. It provides you with certainty of legal compliance and is a necessity for market access. Certification comprises:
- Assessment of production processes and management requirements
- Verification of mass balancing and traceability
- Verification of the produced emissions of greenhouse gases on the basis of standard values
Full GHG package:
On top of the basic certification services, this package includes verification of individual carbon footprints. Verification is particularly advantageous if you operate in markets that have already embraced carbon-positive products. As they will require additional carbon reduction measures in the future, products with a better carbon footprint will be easier to market.
Our certification can build on certain systems and standards already implemented in your company. We combine sustainability certification with the calculation of a carbon or water footprint, or the verification of social accountability standards. Taking advantage of these synergies ensures time and cost-efficient certification.
Your benefits at a glance
- Gain legal certainty
- Protect your investments
- Make use of competitive advantages
- Enhance your good reputation with sustainability and integrity
- Build on a strong brand with one of the leading international certification bodies in the climate-change sector