What is quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC)?
Quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) are two different activities that are part of quality management. QA is focussed on the process used to measure and provide confidence that quality requirements will be fulfilled, thereby preventing defects. Examples of QA activities include the examination and coordination of production documents and manufacturing supervision. QC is the process that ensures that the quality requirements are indeed met by identifying and correcting defects. This includes the inspection of semi-finished products before and after processing.
Watch our video to learn more about quality assurance in international investment projects and how we can help you to tackle the related challenges:
Why is quality management important?
New build plant projects are always expected to be completed in a timely and cost-effective manner while complying with national and international regulations and requirements. Having a good quality management programme minimises defects and enables smooth transition through all phases of the project. In addition, ensuring the quality of structures, components, equipment and systems in a plant may improve its operability, availability, reliability, and maintainability throughout the rest of its lifetime.
TÜV SÜD ensures that your chemical processing plant is built to quality standards.
From the design stage, we ensure that your components are compliant with relevant standards and requirements. Our experts can conduct tests on components at your suppliers’ site and recommend any adjustments required during the manufacturing process to ensure that they can meet your specifications, timeline and budget. We also certify your components according to PED 2014/68 / EU, ensuring market access when required.
With our global multidisciplinary pool of experts which include welding engineers, welding technicians and inspectors experienced with the requirements of the chemical and pharmaceutical industries, we will be able to support you in over 1,000 locations worldwide.
What does quality management in the chemical process industry involve?
Manufacturing supervision and quality management
- Support for investment projects under application
- National / international regulations
- Examination of request specifications and documents
- Advisory on structural design
- Testing scopes for special materials
- Individual report on special materials
- Approvals, tests and certifications according to PED 2014/68 / EU
- Expert activities
Technical Quality Assurance (TQS)
- Advice on the selection of semi-finished products, apparatus and pipe manufacturers
- Support in the preparation of requested documents
- Technical examination of offers and participation in tenders
- Auditing of manufacturers and suppliers
- Pre-inspection meetings before the start of production
- Manufacturing-related tests at the manufacturer and on construction sites
- Assessment non-destructive test results
- Quality assurance of enamelled components
- Testing of surface quality
- Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT), Site Acceptance Tests (SAT), Inspection Release Certificate (IRC)
- Tests according to customer specification of components for pharmaceutical equipment
- Testing of fittings, housings, pumps, etc.
- Positive Material Identification(PMI)
- Video endoscopy
- Ultrasonic wall thickness measurement
- Airborne sound measurement on machines
- Measurement and evaluation of vibrations on machines
- Tests of stirrer drives
- Shipping control
- Checking of manufacturer's documentation
- Inspection release
- Training and testing of welding personnel
- Monitoring of welders and extension of exams
- Personnel certification according to PED 2014/68 / EU
- Welding technical drawing test
- Welding monitoring
- Certification of procedural tests
- Acceptance of working tests
- Manual dexterity tests
- Welding expert reports in case of damage