Learn how to improve sound insulation of building products
Noise as a disturbance in air is physical, noise as perceived by human is psychophysical.
This training course is developed to provide participants with insights on improving sound insulation of building products. To achieve this goal, it is important to first have a good understanding of relevant terminologies & basic concept of acoustics and then be familiarised with special parameters of sound insulation performance; and further to have a good grasp on frequency characteristics, mass law & coincidence dip of the sound insulation performance curves.
In the last part of the training, participants will learn about the critical areas to look out for to achieve good sound insulation performance for wall partitions, doors and windows.
Duration: 1 - day course
At the end of the course, participants will gain insights and relevant knowledge on the following:
• Basic terminologies & basic concepts of acoustics
• Special parameters of the sound insulation performance
• Good understanding on frequency characteristics, mass law & coincidence dip of the sound insulation performance curve
• Ways to further improve the wall partition, door and windows
• Ability to understand the parameters laid inside the tender specification documents
• Gain the pre-requisite for further in-depth learning on acoustics
Topics to be covered in this course include:
1) What are the effects of noise on human beings?
2) Terminologies and basic concepts of acoustics
3) Why does low in-door noise level in building need consistent acoustics performances for each building product used?
4) What are the acoustic performance parameters and their significance?
5) How are these acoustic performance parameters determined?
6) How to specify these parameters in tender documents?
7) Frequency characteristics of the airborne sound insulation and mass law
8) What are the critical areas to look out for achieving good sound insulation performance?
a) Wall Partition
Participants will learn through lectures, case studies, group exercises and discussions.
This course is specially designed for building product supplier / manufacturers, architects and consultants.
Mr. Lem Chee Meng
Product Manager, Acoustic Team
TÜV SÜD PSB
Mr. Lem Chee Meng leads the Acoustic Team and in charge of the operation on the acoustic performance testing including building products, electronic products, home appliances and medical devices. He has a BEng in Mechanical Engineering from the National University of Singapore. He is also in charge of the operation on the sealant, membrane and partition wall performance testing. He has been in the acoustic testing discipline for more than 20 years.
Dr. Sun Qi Qing
Assistant Vice President, Mechanical Test Centre
TÜV SÜD PSB
Dr. Sun Qi Qing is an Assistant Vice President in Mechanical Test Centre of TÜV SÜD PSB where he led the team to develop and provide mechanical and acoustical testing services for building products. Now, he is more focus on the technical advice role.
Since joining the company in 1993, he was instrumental in the establishment of several test labs, including the company’s Acoustic Lab, which is the most comprehensive acoustic lab in Southeast Asia, Green Product Test Lab, Explosive Powered Tool Test Lab, Beverage Packaging Test Lab and Industrial Packaging Test Lab.
With over 40 years of working experience, he has been a member of Technical Committee (TC) of Building Maintenance & Management (BMM) since 2012. And he was a member of the Mechanical Task Force of Singapore Green Building Council (SGBC), a member of the Occupational Health Best Practices Award Committee and Noise Control Award Committee of Ministry of Manpower (MOM).
He graduated from the University of Science and Technology, China, in Mechanics of Explosion and holds a PhD from the University of Cambridge where he was also a post-doctoral research associate in the Cavendish Laboratory. He specializes in experimental mechanics (acoustics, vibration, impact dynamics, and explosive mechanics), and material mechanical properties.
World-class training – by learning from TÜV SÜD’s industry experts and training specialists
Interactive learning style – with interactive formats such as lectures, illustrations and simulations are used
Networking opportunity – where you can meet and build network with like-minded individuals at our instructor-led training
Gain a competitive edge – by getting trained by experts known in the fields of safety, security and sustainability
Bosnia and Herzegovina