Mexico: Safety requirements and test methods for electronic devices, standard NOM-001-SCFI-2018 approved
October 2019 - Relevant for: electrical and electronics
NOM-001-SCFI-2018 specifies the safety requirements and test methods for various electronic equipment and its accessories which are powered by electric power of public networks, with single-phase supply voltages up to 277 V c.a. at 60 Hz and/or three-phase voltages up to 480 V c.a., and by other sources of energy such as batteries, accumulators and alternative power sources up to 500 V DC.
The regulated products in scope are listed in Chapter 1.2, which include the following:
- Radio receivers of one or more commercial frequency bands and one or more carrier modulation modalities
- Television screens of any technology
- Video projectors, except those associated with a data processing equipment or system
- Sound and / or vision amplifiers
- Players and / or sound and image recorders of any technology (acetate, magnetic tape, digital discs, digital memories, etc.) such as cameras, dictation equipment, voice recorders, modular equipment, home theatres, sound bars, etc.)
- Acoustic boxes with integrated amplifier
- Remote controls
- Converters and amplifiers of antenna signals
- CCTV monitors and video monitors that are not associated with data processing equipment
- Separate sources for powering devices and replacing batteries, electronic uninterruptible power systems (UPS) and battery and battery chargers
- Electronic musical instruments
- Electronic accessories such as rhythm generators, tone generators (as individual equipment), synthesizers, musicals and everything used with electronic and non- electronic instruments
- Video games and video game generating devices that are attached to TV or monitors
- Electronic toys
- Professional electronic equipment (cameras, video cameras)
- Active speakers, speakers and speakers
- Alarm and video surveillance systems
- Communication systems such as walkie talkies and the like, even if they are considered as toys
- Audio and / or video educational equipment
- Video cameras
- Antenna positioners
- Civil band team (citizen)
- Intercom equipment that uses the low voltage network as a transmission medium
- Television receivers
- Multimedia equipment, other than data processing equipment or directly associated with data processing equipment
- Electronic flash
- Entertainment and personal service machines
- Microwave ovens
- Money handling machines
The above list is not completed and finalised. Any new electronic products could be added in case of new electronic technologies occurred.
This Official Mexican Standard also applies to external power supplies, which are used in conjunction with the electronic equipment contemplated in this Official Mexican Standard, which are marketed, distributed or supplied, either individually or as part of a product of final use in the same packaging, and to external power supplies that are marketed individually for information technology equipment contemplated in the field of application of NOM-019-SCFI-1998 or that replaces it, in both cases for use in DC power supplies up to 250 V and in AC power supplies up to 480 V at 60 Hz.
Products excluded from scope are listed in Chapter 1.3.
This Standard will be in force 240 days after its publication date which is 14 May 2020.
Find out more here.