ISO 24089 for Road vehicles - Software update engineering
Increased vehicle functions and connectivity necessitates regular software updates to implement important fixes, as well as add new capabilities. However, this also increases the vulnerability of vehicles to cyberattacks and safety hazards.
- The introduction of ISO 24089 will mandate the standardisation of safe and secure software updates on a global level.
- It will also provide organisational and procedural requirements for the vehicle and relevant infrastructure, as well as introduce a globally uniform approach to software update management.
- The new standard will be submitted for publication at the end of 2022 and is expected to be published at the beginning of 2023.
Confirm vehicle compliance with ISO 24089
Organisations involved in road vehicle software update engineering should comply with ISO 24089 to prove they correspond to the state-of-the-art. This includes OEMs and suppliers, as well as subsidiaries and contractual partners.
- The new standard covers requirements for vehicles and its ECUs, new software update packages, the infrastructure, and the whole software update mechanism.
- The requirements of ISO 24089 are harmonised with UN Regulation 156, and both mandate that security and safety is enforced across the whole automotive software update mechanism.
- Risk must be mitigated during the entire vehicle lifecycle for which software update capabilities are essential.
- An efficient and systematic assessment by an independent third-party can identify a manufacturer’s level of conformity to the state-of-the-art.
ENSURE SAFETY AND SECURITY OF YOUR VEHICLES DURING ANY SOFTWARE UPDATE WITH TÜV SÜD
TÜV SÜD’s expert assessment verifies your organisation’s ability to develop and maintain a safe and secure software update mechanism and associated processes. Additionally, you can ensure that a component, or even the entire vehicle, can perform software updates safely and securely – giving you the required evidence to support EU type approval.
- We help you to understand the requirements and how they affect your products and systems.
- Our expert team supports you to identify compliance gaps in your processes and provides advice about how they can be closed.
- Furthermore, we can assist you in ensuring that your software update processes fulfil ISO 24089 requirements, so you can achieve certification, which can be provided by TÜV SÜD’s Technical Service.
- TÜV SÜD’s expert assessment of automotive software updates and the management of software updates identifies if your organisation’s processes provide a suitable and sustainable framework for your software update mechanism.
- Our assessment determines whether you fulfil the requirements of both UN Regulation 156 and ISO 24089.