What is it?
Organo Tin Compounds or stannenes are chemical compounds based on tin with hydrocarbon substituent(s)
Potential health hazards
- They are major concern for environmental pollution.
- If present in higher levels, Very harmful to Aquatic life.
- Endocrine/ central nervous system disruptors.
- Organotin compounds are environmental pollutants and particularly harmful to aquatic environments. They can damage liver, kidneys, blood forming process and can cause disruption of the enzyme system.
Commonly found in:
Plastics, inks, paints and heat transfer material.
Related legislation (non-exhaustive)
- European Union: REACH Annex XVII, entry 20
- Switzerland: Chemical Risk Reduction Ordinance, Ordinance on objects intended for contact with mucous membranes, skin and hair.
Maximum limit (non-exhaustive)
- Tri-substituted, dibutyltin (DBT), dioctylin (DOT): ≤0.1% (by weight of tin)
- Tri-substituted, dibutyltin (DBT), dioctyltin (DOT) organotin compounds: <0.1% (by weight of tin)
How can TÜV SÜD help?
TÜV SÜD has a dedicated Technical Solutions team to support you with root cause analysis, problem identification, suggestions for improvement and ensure failures are minimized.
Please click here to find additional information about our Softlines services.